New Fonts

4902 views 7 replies
Reply to Topic
Cooknks

Total Posts: 124

Topic on Jan 27, 2013 05:13 PM
Is it just me or is there a huge amount of new fonts flooding the market in the last few months?

I swear it seems like a race on who can put out the most new fonts with many of them very similar.

Here is another one, very very nice but doesn't really standout as anything different or unique. (other than the high # of glyphs)

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/schizotype/ollie/

I'd prefer them to slow down a little and add some uniqueness or variants to make it something special and stand out.

Just the voices in my head flowing to my keyboard, but what do you all think, is the font market becoming too saturated?

Mark

Reply on Jan 27, 2013 06:05 PM
But you're right, I think I found a gold mine and we were unfortunate addicts fonts spend millions of dollars to get these fonts or even venture to try to produce a family in an attempt to Reduce spending on such fonts, what the end Becomes That We Already something cannibalistic feeding the system that is Becoming tricky since not everything has an effective use, thought the point of view That was formerly used: a typographer was a scholar and took a while to produce the font absurdity of quality.
Unfortunately I'm an addict, and found a beautiful font guess I'll have to stop entering a support group for addicts anonymous fonts typographers. kkkk

mv118 says
Reply on Jan 28, 2013 02:53 AM
TRUE THAT!!

For a min. I thought it was my eyes going crossed-eyed X|
I thought I look at fonts so much they are starting to look alike to me...BUT NO IT'S NOT ME! It's the lack of imagination, it's like a race for time rather than a race for real showmanship :(

FS101 says
Reply on Jan 28, 2013 04:44 AM
This is a very interesting publication,
and I think we all realized that this does not go unnoticed
When I see this I imagine to "Bello Scrpt" and various other
There is some truth in this,
we suddenly came an epidemic of sources about the same.
This brings us to a rational question
Is it quality or quantity?
maybe this is why some are too expensive
not counting the very limited terms of use :(
I think these are the beginnings to the next level,
although would be interesting to know ... truly which is the next level?
try to do different things in context or stop creating very similar fonts,
I'll leave it to yours own criteria.

And yes, I think so... "FONTAHOLICS" :S

:)

mv118 says
Reply on Jan 28, 2013 06:45 AM
...or are we becoming too critital for our own good....? :D

Reply on Jan 29, 2013 02:40 AM
"Ollie" looks quite similar to "Gelato Script", doesn't it? I still like it though! I love any font that has heaps of ligatures!

Fontrunner says
Reply on Jan 30, 2013 01:38 AM
The reasons for so many new fonts (some of them)

1. Economic recession and the need to try and make a living.
2. Font theft, with fonts being shared the income dwindles as more and more can just google for a free copy.
3. Demand for more features, international characters, contextual/discretionary alternates/ligatures etc (i.e. "Pro" versions).
4. Good old sales pitch, creation of demand, everyone must have the latest etc.
5. Inter-foundry rivalry. Consider the number of Sans or Slab-Serifs that look virtually the same.

Some of the sales pitch goes to ridiculous lengths e.g. number of kerning pairs. (For example Dulcinea by Re-type has 107,681 kerning pairs - unbelievable!).

All these are typical of a capitalist market. At least we have loads of choice!

impast says
Reply on Jan 30, 2013 08:43 PM
True!
Those are too similar...
Now, quality is poorer than quantity

Reply to Topic

Font'O'Day List

Please enter your email address receive a free font daily from Fonts101.com in your Email!